Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Standard Pie Crust Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 82-83)
Gluten-Free Standard Pie Crust: Surprisingly simple to make, this crispy, flaky, and flavorful pie crust is the first step in creating many wonderful pies.
Standard Pie Crust — versatile and incredibly convenient.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter 5 Ounces Cream Cheese ¼ Teaspoon Baking Powder 1 Teaspoon Vanilla ½ Tablespoon Corn Syrup 1¼ Cups Cornstarch ½ Cup Glutinous Rice Flour
1 Egg (slightly beaten) 1 Tablespoon Hot Water 1 Teaspoon Corn Syrup
Crust will hold up best if filling is cooked first and then added to the baked pie crust, or if the filling to be baked in pie crust is not too watery.
When crust requires additional baking after filling is added, reduce the suggested baking time from 29 minutes to 15 minutes.
If crust is to sticky to work with, simply place in refrigerator for half an hour and then press into pan.
- Place egg in bowl and slightly beat. Add corn syrup and hot water; mix until combined.
- Set aside for later application to pie crust.
- Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add baking powder, vanilla and corn syrup; mix.
- Add cornstarch and glutinous rice flour. Mix until just blended (will start to stick together).
- In 9" or 10" pie pan (glass or other) that has been sprayed with cooking spray, press crust along bottom and up the sides (wax paper or parchment works nicely to help form crust). Result should be similar to what is shown below.
- Brush a light coating of egg wash over entire surface of crust. Bake at 450° for 29 minutes (only 15 minutes if pie will be baked after filling).
- While the crust is baking, make the filling for your pie. If your pie requires further baking after filling has been added, you may want to place tin foil strips over the exposed edges of the pie crust to prevent over baking or burning (as pictured below).