Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Lemon Bars Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 152-153)
Gluten-Free Lemon Bars: A tantalizing treat that rewards you with an exceptionally tangy lemon custard over a cookie bar base.
Extraordinary Lemon Bars — delightfully rich lemon custard made with an abundance of fresh lemon!
In 2011, I used this recipe as the foundation for a delightful variation that I called a Gluten-Free Lemon-Bar Pie Recipe (on my blog). See that site for instructions for the pie crust used.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
Base / Crust Ingredients
½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter 4 Ounces Cream Cheese 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder 1 Cup White Rice Flour ¼ Cup Glutinous White Rice Flour 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
Lemon Custard Ingredients
1½ Cups Sugar 4 Eggs 4 Lemons (for ¾ Cup Juice, and 1 to 2 Tablespoon grated Peel / Zest) ⅓ Cup Cornstarch
1 Cup Powdered Sugar 1½ Tablespoons Lemon Juice
YieldApproximately a dozen 2½" squares.
Bars should be covered and refrigerated — should keep approximately 5 days in this manner.
Put dough in refrigerator for 15 minutes if too sticky to work with. Or, use a piece of wax paper or parchment paper to help spread the dough.
Base Layer / Crust Directions
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add rice flours, baking powder and vanilla; mix until well blended (will start to form ball).
- Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 11x7x1½" Pyrex pan or similar sized pan (form crust about an inch up the sides). Bake crust at 450°F for 25 minutes or until browned.
Lemon Custard Directions
- With mixer, mix the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed for about two minutes until the batter takes on a fluffy lemon-yellow appearance. Add lemon juice, lemon peel / zest, and cornstarch.
- Once custard ingredients are mixed together, pour filling over pastry base as soon as base is out of the oven. Lower oven temperature to 300°F and immediately place lemon bars onto middle oven rack (do not wait for oven temperature to reach 300°F). Bake for 25 minutes or until lemon filling is set.
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a bowl; stir until smooth.
- Once bars are removed from oven and completely cool, apply glaze to lemon bars. A simple application device is created by placing the glaze in a sandwich bag and cutting a small piece of the corner off of bag (forming a small hole to dispense glaze through). Squeeze glaze onto lemon bars in any pattern you choose (as pictured: a crisscrossing lattice pattern).
- Cut into squares and serve.