Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Pecan Pie / Tart — with GF "Graham Cracker" Crust Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Gluten-Free Pecan Pie / Tart — with GF "Graham Cracker" Crust: This is a variation of our original fantastic Gluten-Free Pecan Pie / Tart Recipe that has been extended to include a crust that is utterly amazing in its "graham cracker" like flavor. Since both tarts look essentially identical, I borrowed the picture below from our original recipe.
This is essentially a pecan pie in a flavorful (graham-cracker like) tart shell. This recipe was designed using some European products we found at the local grocery stores here in Portugal (2019) that include a beet-sugar syrup (which has a rather amazing caramel-like taste on its own) and a local brand of vegetable shortening called Vaqueiro® as well as Schär® baking flour mix.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
125g (½ standard 250g package) Vaqueiro® — Oleos 100% Vegetais shortening (Nov-2019: Isento de Gluten) 1 Teaspoon Vanilla 1 Tablespoon beet sugar syrup (Tamara® Xarope de Beterraba; obtained from Aldi store — from experience, Aldi only stocks this item during a month or two each year; I stocked up!) 1 Tablespoon Honey 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder 1 Cup Schär® Mix Pan-B Gluten-Free baking flour mix (make sure "Pan-B"; Schär has other flour mix varieties) ½ Cup Doves Farms Gluten-Free Plain White Flour mix (blend of rice, potato tapioca, buckwheat, corn flours)
2 Eggs, slightly beaten ¾ Cup Light Corn Syrup (used Lyle's® Golden Syrup — GF; UK-manufactured) ¾ Cup Sugar 1 Tablespoon Honey 2 Teaspoons Vanilla 1 Cup Pecan Pieces
Light corn syrup refers to the color of the corn syrup, meaning not dark. It does not mean thin or reduced-calorie corn syrups.
If you only have whole nuts, you can quickly break into pieces by placing them in a zip lock bag and lightly striking them with a meat mallet.
If crust is too sticky to work with, just refrigerate for ½ hour first. This tart is exceptional when served either slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Cream together Vaqueiro shortening, vanilla, beet sugar syrup, and honey.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix until blended.
- Press pastry crust into bottom of 9x1⅛" greased tart pan and form up sides of pan (wax paper or parchment works nicely to help form crust).
- Bake at 450°F for 9 minutes or until crust is slightly browned. While crust is baking, make filling.
- Mix slightly beaten eggs, corn syrup, sugar, honey and vanilla together.
- Add pecan pieces and mix.
- Place filling in slightly cooled crust. Lower oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 55-60 minutes (top of tart will become very firm to the touch).
- Allow tart to cool and then remove from pan.