Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Potato Citrus Nut Cake Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 32-33)
Gluten-Free Potato Citrus Nut Cake: A moist and flavorful cake with a texture and taste that will likely remind you a bit of a carrot cake.
Potato Citrus Nut Cake featuring apples, pineapple and orange juice.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
4 Eggs 1¾ Cups Sugar 2 Cups Grated Uncooked Red Skin Potatoes ½ Cup Grated Red Delicious Apples (approximately one apple), omitting any juice created during grating process; ½ Cup Amaranth Flour ¼ Cup Glutinous (“Sweet”) White Rice Flour 2 Cups White Rice Flour ½ Cup Tapioca Flour 1 Tablespoon Baking Soda 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon 1½ Cups Vegetable Oil 2 Teaspoons Vanilla 1 Cup (8 ounces) Canned Crushed Pineapple (with juice) ¼ Cup Orange Juice (with Pulp) ¾ Cup Chopped Walnuts
8 Ounces (1 package) Cream Cheese 3½ Cups Confectioners’ Sugar ½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter 1½ Teaspoons Vanilla
YieldTwo 9" round cakes (as pictured, stacked); or, alternatively, a single 9x13" rectangular cake.
- With mixer, mix the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed for about two minutes until the batter takes on a fluffy lemon-yellow appearance (see picture below).
- Add remaining ingredients; mix thoroughly.
- Divide batter equally between two greased 9" round pans (or, place all batter in a single greased 9x13" pan) and bake for 55 minutes at 350°. Toothpick-test in last 5 minutes to confirm doneness.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth consistency is achieved.
- Apply once cake has cooled.
Finishing TouchesFor presentation, the cake was sprinkled with walnut pieces (approximately ¼ cup) after icing. Then, fresh ground cinnamon was applied to the top and sides of cake.