Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 40-41)
Gluten-Free Pineapple Upside-Down Cake: Awesome texture and full of flavor, this pineapple upside-down cake is exceptional in all regards.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
4 Eggs 1¾ Cups Sugar ¼ Cup (½ Stick) Butter ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil 2 Cups (16 Ounces) Sour Cream 1 Teaspoon Vanilla 4 Teaspoons Maraschino Cherry Juice 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda 1 Cup Cornstarch ½ Cup Glutinous Rice Flour ½ Cup Tapioca Flour 2 Cups White Rice Four
Pineapple “Top” / Glaze Ingredients
(1) 20-Ounce Can Sliced Pineapple (for Rings and ⅓ Cup Juice) ¼ Cup Brown Sugar 2 Tablespoons Butter 12 Maraschino Cherries (optional; pictured)
YieldOne 10" round cake.
- In mixer, cream together the sugar and eggs for two minutes (will have a lemon yellow fluffy appearance).
- Add butter and oil; mix.
- Add sour cream; mix.
- Add vanilla and cherry juice; mix.
- Add flours and cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda; mix slowly until flours are incorporated completely.
- Mix on medium-high for 1 minute (batter should be fluffy).
Pineapple Glaze Directions
- In a frying pan large enough to accommodate pineapple rings, mix brown sugar, butter and pineapple juice together over medium heat.
- Add pineapple rings and cook until liquid is bubbly and thickened (flip pineapple rings occasionally).
- Remove from heat.
Cake Assembly and Baking Directions
- Line bottom of 10" springform pan with parchment paper; apply cooking spray to all inside surfaces. (picture below)
- Cover the outside of the lined pan with tin foil to catch any glaze that may leak out.
- Carefully spoon cooked glaze liquid into bottom of spring-form pan, then place as many pineapple rings (and optional cherries) as desired into the cake pan — keeping in mind that thisarrangement is what will become the top of your cake after it is baked and flipped over.
- Add cake batter (pour in slowly so pineapple rings are not disturbed).
- Bake at 350° for 80 minutes (toothpick test to confirm; toothpick should come out clean).
- Allow cake to cool for about 15 minutes before flipping onto serving plate (revealing pineapple rings and cherries).