Gluten Free Recipes from Gluten-Free-Desserts.com
Gluten-Free & Wheat-Free
Chocolate Cream Cheese Flan Recipe
GF Recipe Summary
Exclusive recipe from our Gluten-Free Gourmet Desserts Cookbook collection (pages 186-187)
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cream Cheese Flan: A rich and thick chocolate custard drizzled with a traditional caramelized sugar sauce.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Flan — a delicious creamy alternative to our traditional style Mascarpone Cheese gluten-free Flan recipe.
Gluten-Free Recipe Card and Pictures
Caramelized Sugar Ingredients
½ Cup Sugar 2 Tablespoons Water
2 Ounces Cream Cheese 2 Eggs 7 Ounces (½ can) Sweetened Condensed Milk 6 Ounces (½ can) Evaporated Milk 5 Ounces Dark Chocolate
YieldFour 1-cup custard dishes.
Baker’s TipRecipe is easily doubled to serve 8. For a lighter variation, use mascarpone cheese (vs. Cream Cheese).
Flan is baked in custard dishes that are placed in a water-bath to ensure slow, even cooking. So, begin by spraying 4 oven-safe/Pyrex 1-cup custard cups lightly with cooking spray (to ease removal of flan later) and arranging them in a 2" or deeper cake pan or roasting pan (do not add water to pan yet, or cups will float).
Caramelized Sugar Directions
- In a saucepan combine the sugar and water.
- Over high heat, stir regularly for about 3 minutes until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking on high heat, occasionally agitating pan in a circular motion to mix. As the mixture approaches a total cook time of 10-12 minutes, it will turn a deep golden brown. Do not overcook (or it will acquire a burnt taste).
- Once desired color is reached (as shown next) remove from heat and quickly pour into custard dishes.
- Place the cream cheese, milks, and chocolate in a microwave-safe 2-quart bowl. Microwave this mixture only enough to melt chocolate completely and mix until smooth. Add the eggs, and mix until evenly distributed — simply beating mixture with a fork works well.
- Divide custard evenly between dishes containing the caramelized sugar — filling each cup about ¾ full. Add water to the pan holding the custard dishes until water reaches half way up sides of custard cups (pictured below, from our traditional flan recipe images).
- Carefully (to prevent water getting into custard dishes), transport custard to the stove and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350°F. When completely cooked, only the custard centers will jiggle slightly if agitated. Remove from oven.
- Carefully remove cups from pan (use oven mitts to prevent burns), and cover with aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- Run a knife around the edge of each flan, then invert the cup onto a small plate — shaking slightly to release flan from cup. Drizzle caramel sauce (from bottom of cups) over flan and serve.